Saturday 28 September 2013

Sarah's "Masterchef" Challenge

Sarah, aka Her Indoors, She Who Must Be Obeyed, or just The Missus decided to throw caution to the wind, and issued a challenge in the style of Masterchef....

She provided the ingredients, and a list of allowed items from the cupboard, and I would cook dinner this evening. And for her part... she promised to eat it!

So this is what I had...
8 oz beef strips
Sweet potato
Tomatoes, and tomato puree
Carrot
Peas
Potatoes
Mushrooms
Onion
Beef stock cube
Chinese Five Spice
Garlic granules
Soy sauce
Fresh Basil
 
and a few staples - flour, butter, seasoning, oil.
 
 
I didn't feel that my usual approach (chop it all up, bung it together, and call it casserole) would quite be in the spirit of the challenge. So this is what I did....

Peel and slice the sweet potato. Slices 1/4 inch (5mm) thick.
Shallow fry these for a couple of minutes in medium hot oil, and set aside to keep warm in the top oven. Meanwhile the fan oven was set to 200 degrees C.

Stir fry the beef in the wok for 2 minutes.
Add 1 chopped medium onion, and continue for another 2 minutes. 
Add the chopped mushrooms and tomatoes, and continue for another 2 minutes. 
Add 1/4 pint beef stock, sliced carrot, and 6 small (tiny) chopped, unpeeled potatoes.
Bring to the boil, and add the chopped basil, a good sprinkle of garlic granules, a squirt of tomato puree, a dash of soy sauce, and pepper to taste.

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Mix some cornflour in cold water, and after ten minutes slowly add it to the mix. Adding just enough to thicken the sauce.

Pour the whole lot into an ovenproof dish, and arrange the slices of sweet potato on top to cover the whole surface. Dot small knobs of butter over the top, and put the dish into the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.

Since I had peas on the list, I served it with a portion of peas (and allowed myself a glass of elderberry and blackberry wine - a perfect accompaniment to beef)




The only ingredient from the list I hadn't used was the Five Spice.

Sarah cleared her plate, and I didn't even have to force her... so I think I nailed this one!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment